Data Privacy Officer
VinFast, our client, is Vietnam’s leading manufacturer of premium automobiles. Supporting them in their global expansion and the launch of their all-Electric smart SUV model line-up starting in Canada, USA and Europe, we are looking for Data Privacy Officer who will be responsible for leading, driving and executing the company’s privacy and personal data governance strategies, policies, procedures, and programs to ensure, promote and drive best practices and compliance, throughout the organization, with all applicable privacy laws, regulations, policies, and procedures, as well as drive a privacy culture to minimize risk, align with regulatory and stakeholder expectations and maintain customer trust. This position is to be filled in Montreal.
- Full time, Permanent
- Modern and professional environment where you’ll work with and learn from highly specialized and dedicated experts from all over the world;
- Competitive and equitable salaries that recognize your experience and expertise;
- Generous group insurance benefit package to employees and their eligible dependents;
- Wellness Spending Account to promote an active lifestyle and a healthier workforce;
- A flexible working culture enabling the employees to adjust their work hours;
- An RRSP contribution program to support the employees in planning and managing their financial well-being into the future.
- Law degree from an accredited law school in Quebec and Quebec Bar membership; both common and civil law training is an asset;
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience working in a law firm or in-house legal department of a multinational corporation, preferably publicly traded and North America based. Automotive industry (including electric vehicle) background an asset, but not necessary;
- Solid understanding of the PIPEDA, GDPR, and related statutes, the common law and civil law as they pertain to privacy, preferably with substantial experience in matters falling under federal jurisdiction;
- Bilingualism (English/French) is required;
- In-depth knowledge of international, federal, provincial, and state laws and regulations regarding privacy and data security (e.g., CCPA/CPRA, GDPR, NIST Cyber Framework) Privacy certification, preferred;
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines. Strong analytic and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent ability to grasp legal issues quickly and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a time-sensitive and complex global environment;
- Tenacity and resilience to persevere towards goals, despite challenges and obstacles, maintaining enthusiasm through to the attainment of the goals;
- Capacity to work autonomously and under pressure, displaying composure in challenging situations;
- Demonstrated leadership and experience in project management, program frameworks and strategies;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to communicate legal matters in a clear and understandable manner;
- Agility, strong influencing skills and ability to remain calm under pressure;
- Ability to lead, engage, and inspire with and without formal organizational authority;
- Ability to interface across all levels of the organization;
- Process improvement mindset and track record of value creation;
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally as the role requires.
- Leverage understanding of PIPEDA, GDPR, and related statutes, the common law and civil law as they pertain to privacy, preferably with substantial experience in matters falling under federal jurisdiction to provide direction to leaders and employees at every level of organization;
- Support in matters before the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (Canada) and other Data Protection Authorities;
- Communicate regularly with data subjects, data protection authorities and other controllers and processors across industries and cultures;
- Guide investigation and tracking of incidents and breaches in compliance with federal, provincial and laws;
- Take the lead in conducting and/or overseeing periodic privacy risk assessments and audits;
- Interface and collaborate with third-party law firms while serving as a liaison with the VinFast Global legal department and Vingroup’s international legal team;
- Provide legal advice to various departments including Marketing, Procurement, HR, Showroom Development, Corporate Sales & Online Sales, Financial Services, IT and After-Sales Service;
- Provide resolution to legal issues and escalate, as required to meet business needs;
- Responsible for internal review of online terms and conditions and contracts with third-party business partners as it relates to data privacy;
- Other tasks as assigned.
You dream of being part of a major expansion project and the establishment of a multinational in Canada? You like to do more and participate concretely in the success of your team? This position is for you!